Tuesday, December 22, 2009

"Muslim" craft ideas... hmmmm....

Inspiring as all my bookmarked mama-blogs are, there's one area where their creativity points to a hole rather than a highlight in my own tot-school plans: holiday crafts. I can't even count the number of adorable, fun, holiday-spirit-infused, toddler-friendly Christmas crafts I've seen posted over the past few weeks, everything from Rudolph sugar-cookies to personalized tree decorations. I'm sure when Easter rolls around, there will be eggs and bunnies galore! But so far, at least, my list of possible Eid-related crafts is ... well... isn't, would be the best way to put it.

So, ok, let's say it's an opportunity rather than an obstacle. I can use the next few years to be on the look-out for ideas I can adapt, and by the time Basbusa gets old enough to have a clue what the heck a holiday even is, I'll have a whole list of fun projects lined up (insha'Allah).

We can do "seasonal" crafts, like spring/summer/fall/winter... We can do a whole bunch of lantern-related things for Ramadan, I guess... We could do Ramadan calendars instead of Advent calendars... Eid al Adha is a bit tricker, though. There isn't a set of associated icons that adapt naturally to toddler crafts. ("Happy Eid!" ads on TV in Egypt tend to feature cartoon sheep trotting around, which, clearly, they only do until they meet their destiny on Eid morning. Hmmm. Haven't figured out how to translate that into a craft project yet, without involving an awful lot of red ketchup.)

And what about Halloween and Thanksgiving crafts? Hmmm. I know the orthodox answer on Halloween, in any case, although I haven't completely figured out my own position yet. But Thanksgiving? Should be fine, right? Can anyone see anything haram in a toddler making a bunch of turkey-related handprints...?

3 comments:

  1. As Salaamu Alaykum,

    I so love your blog! I also get some ideas from carisa's 1+1+1 blog. I like to islamize some of them myself. For instance I made a Hajj tot book for my little ones, maybe you can do one this coming Hajj insha Allah. Go over and take a look at my blog. I also hope to keep in touch with you and maybe swap ideas insha Allah.www.ummabdulbasir.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asalamu Alaikum,

    Thanks so much for your blog. Your style of writing is so refreshing and your ideas are so down-to-earth mash'Allah. As a Lebanese American revert trying to teach myself and our three children Arabic and Islam, I found your ideas and comments so relatable. AL 7amdulAllah you have the mastery of the language on your side...this is something I am striving to achieve at some point in this life insha'Allah. May Allah continue to bless you and your family. Ameen. Thank you again for sharing your diary.

    Umm Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. As salamu alaykum!
    So glad to have chanced upon your blog. Do drop by mine and see if you can use any ideas for your little one. Would love to share and exchange ideas with you in the future! :)

    www.jannahsteps.com

    ReplyDelete